What is Eczema?
Most people have experienced dry, itchy skin in the winter. Though uncomfortable, this is usually not eczema. Eczema is generally defined as inflammation of the skin and affects about 3% of the adult in the United States and about 13% of children. Also known as atopic dermatitis, signs of eczema may include:
- Itchy skin and rashes
- Swelling of the skin and tissues
- Dry or scaly patches
- Skin flaking in the affected area
- Blistering and bumps on the skin
- Skin discoloration, both lighter and darker
- Lesions, or small tears in inflamed areas
What Causes Eczema?
Definitive causes of eczema are unknown and up for debate. Many believe that eczema is a response from the immune system when it is overreacting to an irritating bacterium, temperature, chemical or fabric. Some specific causes, or triggers, may include:
- Allergies to things that physically touch the skin, including soaps and detergents
- Allergies to things inhaled, such as seasonal pollen, dust mites, pet dander and mold
- Extreme temperature differences
- Sweating and overheating
- Prolonged sun exposure
- Adverse reactions to specific foods
- Skin infections and deficient skin hygiene
- Autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus
- Anxiety and stress due to an overproduction of cortisol
What is the Best Treatment for Eczema?
According to the FDA, colloidal oatmeal is the only approved
ingredient to treat eczema,
and it is one of the main ingredients in First
. Colloidal oatmeal
contains fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients shown to
benefit the skin. Our cream combines colloidal oatmeal with shea butter,
ceramide 3 and our FAB antioxidant booster.
100% of those surveyed reported
lasting improvements in skin dryness when using this product.
If you are struggling with dry or distressed
skin on your face specifically, try the antidote,
Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask,
Pharma Arnica Relief & Rescue Mask
is another soothing mask that helps
repair and strengthen the skin. 100% of customers surveyed reported that their
skin felt nourished after applying this mask.
The ease of use combined with instant relief is what happy customers often site in their reviews of Ultra Repair Cream for the treatment of This highly rated skin cream won the 2015 Allure Best of Beauty Award.
How can I prevent eczema flare-ups?
The first step in being proactive about your eczema flare
ups is being aware of your own personal triggers. Many who suffer from eczema find value in
keeping a journal of flare ups and possible causes. There are a variety of apps
created for eczema tracking (i.e. Eczema Tracker), but a pen and spiral works just
as well. Once you start seeing
patterns, you can begin to avoid or eliminate those triggers. This process puts
helpful systems in place for dealing with your skin condition.
In addition, here are some proactive prevention tips:
- Drink lots of water and use a humidifier to add moisture to the air
- Take note of how certain foods affect your outbreaks (many found irritation with nuts and dairy)
- Take lukewarm baths and consider adding powdered colloidal oatmeal or Epsom salts
- Keep skin moisturized and apply emollients within 3 minutes of bathing/showering to “lock in” moisture. Try Ultra Repair Cream as a head-to-toe moisturizer.
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature and humidity
- Wear loose fitting clothes made of natural materials
- Meditate, breathe deeply and try to reduce your stress
Though atopic dermatitis can be stressful or embarrassing for some, there are many ways to manage the eczema symptoms and go about your life. Very often a combination of journaling, treatment, preventive care and stress reduction can calm the outbreaks.
Support groups have also proven beneficial to many of our customers. If an in-person support group is not available, there are numerous groups online to connect with others on your same skin care journey.
At FAB we have created , yet effective products specifically formulated for our customers struggling with eczema. Try our Award-winning Ultra Repair Cream or browse related products like FAB Pharma Oat & Hemp Multi-Fix Salve dedicated to helping you treat and calm your skin.